BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Eating Out in Vienna

Foodies alert! Today I'm going to tell you about how much I loved eating out in Vienna (or Wien, as I am inclined to say!). Now, I am aware that in terms of sheer scale or innovation, Vienna doesn't exactly rival London, New York or Tokyo, but what I am convinced of is that you can eat very well there - and often for very reasonable prices.

All of the places that follow are places I tried myself, so they've got my personal seal of approval. I eat generally vegetarian food, so you guys get a double whammy. Not only are these places great, but any veggies tagging along will be very happy.

Unlike England, it's very hard to find Indian food in Vienna. For some reason, it just hasn't caught on. What you will find in its place is an abundance of sushi restaurants, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Italian and Viennese food, along with a smattering of organic restaurants and coffee houses, which often make their own cake and treats are really are worth a blog entry of their own. Some other time, perhaps.

I lived in the North of the city, but most of the best places I know are closer to the centre. I used to walk back and forth all the time, and one of my friends lived right in the middle of the my route. Turns out one of the best places we found was just down her street. Ha Noi Express is in Sechsschimmelgasse and serves a limited, but delicious menu, both for eating in and takeaway. It's basically very simple, but very good, Vietnamese cooking. I have never had better tofu in my life: full stop. My other dining companions also raved about the fish and chicken skewers. Service can be a bit iffy, but in any case it's worth it.

Dots Experimental Sushi, Vienna. Courtesy of Kat, HolidayCheckIf you're more in the mood for sushi, I suggest above all: Dots Experimental Sushi. Don't be put off by the name - they also serve warm dishes and normal sushi. However, if you are more adventurous there's also no end to the strange combinations you can go for. Every plate is gorgeous - I hope you can see the picture, but that's me with by huuuge plate of vegetarian sushi. Absolutely lovely, and so pretty. The service is very good and although the drinks are expensive, the sushi is actually a bargain. The quality is the highest I found in Vienna and yet the prices are the same you'd find in an average restaurant. Just remember to book a table in advance, because it's quite popular!


Well, what about Italian? Vienna is heavy with great Italian restaurants, but I have one clear favourite: Pizza Mari. This restaurant is run by Italians and has a small, traditional menu with only a few appetisers and toppings available. The pizzas are stunning. I had a traditional pizza with tomato, buffalo mozzarella and rocket and it was one of the best I've had. It's located in a quiet street but has a cult following, so you may have to wait for a table - but please do, because you won't regret it!

Finally, on to Austrian food. Go to Amerlingbeisl - it's a command. Not only is the location absolutely stunning and the food fantastic, but it's a cultural hub. All kinds of groups meet here to discuss politicals, music, whatever they feel like. I always liked watching them leave and wondering which group they belonged to. Food is simple, there is plenty of variety and the portions are generous. I had trouble finishing mine, but did anyway because it was so good. I found the staff very friendly, although the place does get busy in the evenings.

In any case, be careful...otherwise you might end up like me at the end of my trip...!


To read more from Kat, follow her on Twitter: @KC_HolidayCheck

For more treats and tips, head on over to www.holidaycheck.co.uk To stay up-to-date with HolidayCheck news, articles and new blog posts, become our fan on Facebook.

0 comments: